Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Introduction

Hello! I am a Fine Artist from Texas, and, like many people assume, Southern hospitality is a major part of my life. I am also fairly shy and reserved, but open up when I need to. For example, meeting other artists outside of school is one of my favorite things to do. I love going to galleries and meeting new people.

 I have lived in Houston, Texas my whole life, and would love to move back to Texas, most likely Austin, after college. In my family there is a line of artists. On one side, my dad, uncles, and grandfather all design houses and buildings, so the artistic mindset and ability have always been around. As soon as I got my hands on paint, or even the kids coloring menu's at restaurants, I wanted to be a painter. My dad's side of the family is very friendly, and we love to tell jokes, laugh, and we also like to bake. My mom's side is a little more reserved. Both sides have the same beliefs and opinions, so they get along quite well. One side is just a little more outgoing and fun to be around than the other is.

The major influence that guides my life is my faith. I am very faithful to God, and I believe that He gave me everything I have, so my art and attitude should reflect Him and give something back. I suppose it is a way to pay it forward. And like I said before, Southern hospitality is a huge part of my life too. It is very important to me that people are kind and courteous to others.

These ideas that I grew up with have influenced the way I look at society, art, and how I critique. In society I try my absolute hardest to be as nice as possible. I don't always agree with people's views on things, but I let them say their side of things, and when they finish I explain why I disagree. When I am in a critique with other artists I give my honest opinion. I say what I like, as well as how I think the piece could improve. I'm so thankful to be in Fine Arts because everyone is so helpful and honest. We never feel bad about telling what we truly think of a piece of work. This will be extremely helpful, not only in the art world, but also on my own in society.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, in getting to know both you and your work within the past year or so, I can say that you really describe an accurate image of what you and your art making practice are like. (Naturally, because you know, you live with yourself constantly right, like for the past 20-something years right?) I think there's something curious about it. Maybe I have not been able to see this in my own work or clearly in others - but with you, I easily see your artwork as being a direct extension of yourself. It grows from your arms and hands. Afterall, I suppose, what better lens but yourself to view the world, right?

    ReplyDelete