Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Before I explain my thoughts about the novel, “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz, I would like to say that all of this is my opinion and thoughts about the novel.

I read the first chapter of this novel and then detailed summaries of the rest of the novel. I did not finish reading the book for multiple reasons. The first reason being I did not like the writing style of Junot Diaz at all. The second reason is that I do not enjoy the content of the book. The whole story is about a guy fantasizing about women. He makes women in to sex symbols, and it was very offensive. I did not feel comfortable with finishing this novel because of the content. There was a lot of profanity, and I felt like this book was just about the guy fantasizing about women. I can’t even tell you what the story was about because that’s all it seemed to be.

Now, I understand that the world is uncomfortable, and that bad things happen every day. I am not putting on blinders, so to speak, to the real world and real events. Yes, these things are terrible and should make you uncomfortable, but the news is real and people should know about real events that are going on. I also understand that everyone should push themselves to be uncomfortable in order to learn. However, I feel that there is a point in which that person can say no, that is just too far. I have a problem with “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” because this story only seems to be about a man’s pleasure, but it isn’t even a true story. If it was a true story and there was something to learn from reading the novel, then I would finish it. But because I felt that the point of the story was not relevant to my life in any way, and I don’t feel I would learn anything from it, and all it did was make me uncomfortable, I chose not to finish it. I don’t think I need to go out of my way to read about terrible situations, from a story that isn’t even true.

No comments:

Post a Comment